Thursday, May 10, 2012

Summer Reading List

1. "Another Roadside Attraction" by Tom Robbins
       I am going to be completely honest when I say that I would join a cult if Tom Robbins was its leader.  He is hands down my favorite author.  This is the one and only book of his that I have yet to read.  I have been waiting to borrow it from a friend, but I am getting impatient and will probably buy it myself next week.

2. "If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You" by Kelly Cutrone
      Are you familiar with the show Kell on Earth?  All you need to know is that it was a 2010 show on Bravo that followed the life of PR bad-ass Kelly Cutrone.  On it, they mentioned her book titled "If You Have to Cry, Go Outside".  That title really stuck with me and I have been attempting to make it my life's mantra. I'm hoping the book is just as inspiring as the title.

3. "Life As I Blow It" by Sarah Colonna
        I am a huge Chelsea Lately fan and I love whenever Sarah Colonna is on the round-table.  I've heard only the most fantastic things about this comedic memoir.  I always look forward to reading anything that will make me laugh.

4. "I Thought You Were Dead" by Pete Nelson
        This book follows a character who is a little down on his luck and confides in his dog...who responds...in English.  It may seem a little out there but I have already read the first 50 pages, and so far it's good.  I might also be a little bias because I met the author.  He was a guest staying at the inn that I work at and he took a liking to me because I am an English major.  He sat in the lobby for over an hour discussing books and giving me writing advice.  Later that night, he came down with a signed copy of his book and he lectured me about how I had to go to the university where he teaches to talk about a book that I write and have published.  Inside, he wrote "see you in five years."  Besides my two favorite high school teachers, nobody has ever encouraged me to write more than Pete Nelson had.  It was a pretty awesome thing.

5. "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess
        I know, right?  This book would be on here.  People always rave about it and how it's a classic and it's so revolutionary and blah blah blah.  I really don't even know what it is about (I feel like even people who claim to know don't).  All that I know is that there is some crazy rape scene or something.  I might as well get it over with and just read the damn thing, right?

6. 'Night Mother by Marsha Norman
        I really enjoy reading plays.  I performed the opening scene of this one with another girl in an acting class that I took.  The scene ends with my character, Jessie, telling her mother that she is going to kill herself.  I have been dying (pun unintended) to finish the play and figure out what happens.  This is a must on my list.

7. "State of Wonder" by Ann Patchett
         From what I've read about this book, it is supposed to be a female-centered version of "Heart of Darkness".  As much as I hated actually having to read "Heart of Darkness", I will admit that it was overall a great story that I enjoyed and  often find myself referencing in college.  Just please don't tell that to my high school English teacher.

8. "Good Faith" by Jane Smiley
        I fell in love with Smiley's contemporary adaptation of King Lear, "A Thousand Acres".  Smiley is a fantastic writer, and I am excited to start another one of her novels.

9. "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James
        I need to see what all of the hub-bub is about. Don't judge.

10. "Hot Water Music" by Charles Bukowski
         Bukowski and I have a love-hate relationship. One second I'll be all, "yeah you're pretty cool," but then  I'll be all "you're a  sick bastard!"  We're going to try to work it out this summer.


        Check back to see what I thought of all of these books.  Also, I would love to get some recommendations on what I should read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment